Monday, August 3, 2009

Mommy WOW... I'm a BIG KID NOW!!

I love, love, love "House" and "Grey's Anatomy."
However, I have a major issue with needles. I hate being stuck, and I hate watching others endure this fate. 

My Momma has been a loyal Red Cross donor for years... and I have always said, "I will NEVER give blood." However, after this past weekend at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, I reconsidered my stance. I learned about the importance of donating platelets, and the immense benefit these donations have to the young patients.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that if I wanted to donate platelets, I needed to donate "whole blood" first. You don't jump off the high dive without swimming in the deep end first... how's that for a metaphor?! LOL

So today was the day, Momma took me to the Red Cross and I donated!! I have the tendency to build things up to a greater height than necessary... I do this so that I will be relieved when it "wasn't that bad." And guess what?! It wasn't that bad!!! LOL

Of course there is a little pinch when they insert the needle, but I felt so great when I was finished!! My next task is to donate platelets. It can take up to two hours, so that may be a task for fall break.

If you've never donated, or are like me and have a fear of the dreaded needle, I encourage you to stand tall and take the plunge... you'll be glad you did. Helping others is one of the best feelings in the world!! -E

p.s. I was pretty proud of my "red dot" souvenir!! 

1 comment: