Friday, May 29, 2009

Home Sweet Happiness

"Honey, I'm Hooooome!!" 
Well, I'm back on the East Coast and so happy to be home. It was a rough journey to get here. I took the red eye out of LAX on Wednesday night to Pittsburgh. Because of Papas' job as a pilot and all my experiences flying, I do not have any trouble hopping on a plane. That being said, I knew something was wrong when after an hour into the flight I had the urge to check the seat pocket in front of me for a sick sack. I'll spare you the details but let's just say that for two hours the lavatory was my BFF. 
I arrived in Pittsburgh at 5:40 am and my flight to Charlotte was at 7:23 am. I did not think I was going to get on that flight b/c the flight was oversold and I fly space available. At this point I was so weak and exhausted, all I wanted to do was curl up in the airport or snap my fingers and be home. All this in-between stuff was no bueno. Momma was strongly urging me, via text message, to drink some sprite so that I would not become dehydrated, but let me tell ya the thought of food or drink made my stomach whirl, and it didn't need ANY help with that!! "Newton, please see the agent at the counter." What?! I'm getting on the flight?! Score!! I heaved my bags onto my shoulder and trudged over to the  agent (mind you, I had to pretend everything was hunky dory b/c otherwise they would not have let me on the plane...) and looked at my seat assignment 18F, the window... As I walked down the jetway I started round 86 of my "please Lord" praying, "Lord, please please please please help me get through this flight without getting sick." 
When I got on the plane, the sweetest couple was sitting next to me. I stuffed my two bags under the seat and snuggled up to fall asleep, praying all the while. I was sandwiched into my seat and there was no getting out. "Ladies and gentleman, welcome to Charlotte-Douglas International Airport." What?! I made it!!
I walked into the terminal and broke down in tears for the first time when I saw my Daddy (papas in other references here... a story for another time, lol). I immediately buried my face in his chest and started sobbing. As we walked to baggage claim, we stopped to buy me a Sprite. When we got home, Momma tucked me into bed and I slept for 12 hours.
I finally woke up when Daddy came to check on me and I told him how nice it was to be sick when you're home... you know you have people that will take care of you. Sometimes it's nice to be a kid again and truly need your parents' love and care. 
Friday Update: Well after a few more hours of sleep, I am feeling  much better... almost myself again. Off to a fabulous Friday in Charlotte! It's good to be home!!
-E

No comments:

Post a Comment